Since Father’s Day was this last weekend and I show love in food, I wanted to make my father-in-law one of his favorite cakes, Popcorn Cake. It’s a super easy and quick cake, so if you aren’t a baker but love sweets this one is for you! This recipe is one of my mother-in-law’s ole’ standby recipes. She gets all the glory for this creative solution to cake!
I shared this cake on Snapchat (you can find me at jenlynndewey) and it got quite a bit of interest. This popcorn cake is the perfect match of sweet and salty all in one. My father-in-law loves it and would probably eat the entire thing himself if we let him. I didn’t have a bundt pan on hand (what kind of a baker am I!?) so I used an angel food pan, it worked just fine. I’ve seen this cake done before minus the caramel, but I promise you’ll want to add the caramel!
- 3/4 cup popcorn, unpopped (12-14 cups popped popcorn)
- 1-10 oz. bag of marshmallows
- 24 caramels, unwrapped
- 1/2 cup of margarine
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts
- 1/2 cup plain M&M's
- Pop about ¾ cup popcorn. This will yield 12 to 14 cups popped.
- Place in a large bowl that has been sprayed with cooking spray oil and remove any unpopped kernels.
- Heat the marshmallows, caramels, and margarine until melted together. About 1 minute in the microwave. Stir well until it is smooth.
- Pour the melted mixture over the popped corn and mix well.
- Add the peanuts and the M&M's. Stir to combine.
- Spray a bundt pan (or angel food pan) with cooking spray oil. Press mixture into pan and let cool completely. Cake should harden.
- Slice and serve.