One of my favorite meals growing up was my mom’s green chicken enchiladas. I’ve always been a salsa verde fanatic so I’m sure that’s why I love these enchiladas so much. Growing up, Mom always used the Las Palmas Green Enchilada sauce. It made for a quick and easy weeknight meal for a working mom.
I decided to re-create that Las Palmas Green Enchilada sauce, homemade. Or semi-homemade, depending on how in depth you want to get with the ingredients. And they taste just like they did growing up!
I used a homemade salsa verde in this, recipe courtesy of The Beef Jar, but you can feel free to use a pre-made salsa verde! I also added some cream to finish off the sauce and wow does it make these green chicken enchiladas rich!
- 1 - 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 jalapeño pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (or ground cumin)
- 1 cup salsa verde, homemade or pre-made
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 6-8 burrito sized flour tortillas
- Shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine chicken, chicken broth, garlic, jalapenos, onion, peppercorns, and cumin in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook 10-15 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked. Remove chicken from pan, shred, and set aside.
- Drain cooking liquid through a mesh strainer over a bowl, reserving the liquid. Place the solids with 1/4 cup of liquid into a food processor or blender. Puree until smooth. Add more of reserved liquid to the puree until you've got 1 cup total. Discard remainder of reserved liquid.
- Add the puree liquid mixture back to the pan over medium heat. Add 1 cup of salsa verde. Cook for about 10 minutes until mixture begins to thicken. Reduce heat to low and add 1/4 cup heavy cream. Remove from heat.
- Dip each tortilla in sauce mixture and fill with a handful of chicken and shredded cheese. Roll up and arrange the enchiladas seam side down in a casserole dish coated with cooking spray. Pour the sauce over tortillas and top with cheese.
- Bake at 400° for 20-30 minutes or until lightly browned over the top.