While in Hawaii, among all the incredible tropical fruit drinks that flow freely, I found one of my new FAVORITE cocktails to date. I tend to be more of a classic gal when it comes to my cocktails. Whisky sours, lemon drop martinis, and now Grapefruit Basil Martinis! I am such a sucker for anything grapefruit, so this drink caught my eye while my hunny and I enjoyed a date night at Tommy Bahama’s.
The grapefruit + the basil was perfection. I had to come home and re-create it! And since grapefruits are in season and plentiful, there’s no better time to enjoy! I used fresh grapefruits and squeezed them for my juice, I highly recommend this. But if you can’t, be sure to find the best quality grapefruit juice you can!
- 2 1/2 ounces vodka
- 1/2 fresh grapefruit, juiced (about 2 1/2 ounces of juice)
- 1 ounce simple syrup
- 2 basil leaves
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle one basil leaf with simple syrup. (I don't have a muddler so I simply chopped my basil very fine and mixed well with syrup)
- Add vodka and grapefruit juice. Fill shaker with ice and shake.
- Strain into martini glass and garnish with remaining basil leaf.
- To make simple syrup, combine 1 cup of water with 1 cup of sugar. Heat over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Cool before using.