Since I’ve discovered the wonder that is homemade BBQ sauce, rarely do I find a bottled one that compares. Homemade BBQ sauce is simple and takes basically no time to throw together. It has become one of my favorite things to gift (everyone loves homemade right?) as well as add to my list to can!
This fall I tried a carolina BBQ sauce for the first time, it was incredible! Two of my other favorites are this Mango BBQ Sauce from Iowa Girl Eats and this tangy, smoky homemade BBQ sauce from Gimme Some Oven.
Today, I am going to share with you a recipe for plum BBQ sauce. You’re probably thinking, plums in BBQ sauce!? Yep. I had an excess of plums this summer and I decided to make them into BBQ sauce. They were PERFECT! They added a slightly sweet and tart flavor to the sauce. I use this sauce to mop my baby back ribs and it caramelized wonderfully on the grill!
- 2 cups plums (about 6-7), halved
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup shallot, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring all ingredients to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat and simmer 15-20 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally.
- Use immersion blender to blender until smooth. Or if you have no immersion blender, cool for about 10 minutes, place mixture in a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Store in fridge for up to 2 weeks or process in a water bath canner for 10 minutes to store at room temperature.
- Recipe yields 2 cups.