Summer is finally here! Summer is my favorite time of year on the prairie… Everything is green, crops are growing, and best of all, we’ve got all sorts of delicious produce! There’s nothing better than a fresh salad with some beef from the grill.
I got the idea to add wheat berries to a fruit salad when I saw a fruit salad with quinoa in it. Why not add wheat berries instead? Perfect! This also makes a great breakfast and can be thrown together in 10 – 15 minutes. Simple and easy!
I added some pizzaz to this salad by topping it with a lime vinaigrette. The vinaigrette adds so much flavor to the various fruits. I used what fruits I had on hand, but feel free to experiment with what you’ve got! I think mango or any melon would be a delicious addition.
- 1 cup wheat berries, cooked
- 1 cup peaches, chopped
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- juice of 1 lime (2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon djion mustard
- 1 - 2 tablespoons honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, add all chopped fruits and wheat berries. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients until well mixed.
- Add dressing to large bowl and gently toss to coat.
- Serve cold or at room temperature. I prefer it at room temperature.
- Feel free to experiment with fruits you have on hand. Makes a great breakfast.