I love a good baking challenge, but sometimes I just enjoy a simple and easy dessert. This strawberry shortcake looks fancy, but I promise it is so easy! It would be the perfect summer dessert, however, I did make it in the middle of winter North Dakota. So anything is possible my friends.
The secret to this cake is to let it sit for a few hours or overnight in the fridge. The more it sits, the more the flavors meld together and softened up the graham crackers. It becomes like a strawberry chocolate eclair. If you want to make it even easier, buy some cool whip or other whipped topping. But I had some heavy cream to use up, so I made my own.
- 1 pound strawberries
- 1 3/4 cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 12 whole graham crackers
- 2 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- Cut the tops off the strawberries and cut each berry into thin slices.
- With a hand mixer or stand mixer, whip 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream until it forms stiff peaks. Add powdered sugar and vanilla. Whip to combine.
- Spread a small spoonful of whipped cream on the bottom of a platter or 8x8 baking dish. Lay three graham crackers on top of the whipped cream. Lightly cover the top of the graham crackers with more whipped cream. Add a single layer of strawberries.
- Repeat this three more times until you have four layers of graham crackers. Spread the last of the whipped cream over the top.
- Heat the remaining 1/4 cup cream in a small saucepan until it starts to boil. Pour over the chopped chocolate into a small bowl. Let stand for a few minutes, then whisk until smooth. Drizzle the chocolate over the layered dessert with a spoon. Garnish with a few more sliced strawberries.
- Refrigerate for at least four hours or overnight. Slice and enjoy.