If you’ve followed me for any amount of time, you will know that I love food. I love good food. And sometimes I struggle with healthier choices. For me personally, it is hard to sacrifice taste for healthier options. So when I came across these tuna melts on one of my favorite recipes for healthier choices, Skinnytaste, I knew I had to try it… with some additions of course. Gina over at Skinnytaste does a great job of adapting recipes all while making healthier choices and not sacrificing taste. If you’ve never checked out any of her recipes, I highly recommend it!
These are a great quick and easy solution for supper or even lunch. The tuna could even be pre-made for later in the day. There are several ways you could adapt and change this recipe to be even healthier, like serving the sandwich open face with the melted cheese cuts the carbs and calories. But for an entire sandwich, coming in at under 500 calories is pretty dang good. However you choose to make it, I hope you enjoy it!
- 2 slices 7 Grain Bread (or wheat or whatever suits your fancy)
- 4.5 ounces chunk light tuna, in water
- 1 tablespoon Miracle Whip
- 1 tablespoon relish (I used homemade)
- 1/4 cup carrots, diced
- 1/4 cup celery, diced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 ounce cheddar cheese
- oil spray
- Combine all ingredients except bread and oil spray.
- Heat a large skillet over medium low heat. Spray skillet with oil spray, and place slice of bread on top. Top bread with cheese, then tuna salad and place other slice of bread on top. Cook on low heat until cheese melts and bread gets toasty. Be sure to flip and toast other side.
- Serve immediately.
Next week I will be sharing an amazing recipe for de-constructed stuffed peppers! It is one of my new favorites! Don’t miss it! And as always if you have ideas for recipes for me to share, feel free to contact me!