Back in California, there’s this awesome local Chinese restaurant that I regularly miss getting take out from on nights when I don’t feel like cooking. I miss eating straight from those little white boxes. So I did what living in North Dakota has taught me to do, I re-created it in my own home. Except without those little white boxes. Maybe I should invest in some, just so I can re-create the entire experience 😉
I chose to re-create their Cashew Chicken and this recipe was right on the money in taste and texture. This recipe was super easy and totally perfect for a weeknight meal! Done and on the table within a half hour tops!
I used chicken breasts for this recipe, but you could also use boneless skinless chicken thighs for it too! I served my Cashew Chicken with white rice and some Spaghetti Sauce Chow Mein…. which was totally husband approved, WIN!
- 3/4 cup cashews
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil (divided)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 scallions, chopped
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 5 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the cashews on a baking sheet. Toast in the oven about 5 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Place the chicken pieces in a large bowl. Add cornstarch and soy sauce. Sprinkle with white pepper, toss to coat evenly.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil over high heat until very hot. Add half of the chicken to the skillet and stir fry until browned but not cooked through. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining vegetable oil to the skillet. Add remaining chicken and brown again. Add all the garlic, scallions, and zucchini. Return the first batch of chicken to the pan.
- Turn the heat down to medium heat. Add the rice vinegar and cook until almost evaporated.
- Add the hoisin sauce, soy sauce and water, stir well. Cook until the chicken is cooked through. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the cashews and sesame oil. Serve immediately.