After eating lots of McDonald’s and junk food on vacation, I’ve come back home and been trying to reset myself. I’ve been striving towards eating healthier and maintaining a consistent workout routine. I’ve been so sporadic for the last year, it is time I make myself consistent. And re-ignite those healthy habits I formed two years ago.
I struggle with breakfasts. What to eat in the mornings is like a mind block for me. I can be the most creative dinner/supper planner out there, but breakfast is a challenge… I also am a person that needs variety. I ENVY those of you who can eat the same thing day in and day out. I know thinking about food as fuel helps you, but for someone who loves to cook and loves to experiment and eat, creativity in the kitchen is essential in my life.
Enter these frittata muffins I created. I made a whole batch, froze half and kept half in the fridge. I can eat them for breakfast or as a snack throughout the week.
I added caramelized onions, bacon, and tomatoes to mine. But feel free to use the frittata as a base and add whatever add-ins you want! I’ve seen some great recipes with spinach and other vegetables. Or you can adapt my Avocado Tomato Frittata to these muffins!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tomato, diced (feel free to use about 3/4 cup canned too)
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated (divided in two halves)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 pound bacon, cooked and chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a muffin tin with vegetable spray.
- In a medium skillet, melt the butter over high heat. Add the onions, allow to soften and slightly brown for about 5 minutes. Reduce heat. Add the tomatoes. Cover and allow to cook for 15-20 minutes or until caramelized. Feel free to add some balsamic vinegar or brown sugar to flavor. Once onions and tomatoes are caramelized, remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and whisk in half of the cheese. Add baking powder and milk. Whisk to fully combine. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon a small amount of the egg mixture into each muffin tin. Add the caramelized onions and bacon to each tin. Pour the remaining egg mixture over the bacon and onions. Top with the remaining cheese.
- Place the muffin tin in the preheated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the frittata muffins begin to brown and the eggs are cooked.